Thursday 5 September 2013

The Uncommon Herd: William Presslie of Arnage

Looking across the valley of the Ebrie from close to the present South Lodge of Arnage Castle
William Presslie was born in 1832 at the porter Lodge of House of Arnage 5 miles north  of Ellon. This had  a small croft attached and was close to the woods of Arnage about a mile away from the present South Lodge  by Arnage Station. Until the age of about 10, William received a very basic education of varying quality at  a variety of country schools. His education was frequently   interrupted by the need to work seasonally as a herd loon, looking after 'free range' cattle at local farms .

At the age of 24  William wrote an autobiography which has been edited by his great grandson Ian William Platt and was published as  'The Uncommon Herd' in 2012. In this William gives  a fascinating picture of life in the area lamenting the  effect the  enclosure of land had on poor families: 'When I was a boy every farmer required one or two persons to keep his cattle: now wire and wooden palings, hawthorn and holly hedges, and stone and earthen fences perform the work formerly assigned to the herd boy. This was a serious loss to many poor people with large families especially in the country. Although they got but little wages for herding still their meat (food) even was considered  a great deal...it was an excellent thing for boys intended for farm servants...it  seasoned them to endure cold and rainy weather.'

The view along the Line from Burngrains Bridge.

During William's own childhood there was, in the vicinity of his grandmother's house at Burngrains, a shop where,  on Tuesdays,  a merchant from Clochcan traded in an astonishingly wide range of   commodities. At the shop he bought farm produce -'butter, cheese, eggs, calves, swine, grain, honey etc' for 'a miscellaneous assortment of goods, besides groceries  ropes, tar, sweeties, oil, candles, lamps, lanterns, dishes of all sorts, combs, needles, thread, worsted, all sorts of cloth worn in the country, mittens, pots marbles, pigs, mousetraps, cutlery, bones of manure, guano, coats etc...as his trade was extensive and his profits extraordinary he was at this time very rich.'

William's autobiography is well written and provides a fascinating account of the daily life of rural working class life in 19th century Aberdeenshire. The daily hardships which were endured before the days of waterproof clothing, electric light, easy transport  and instant heating are salutary.

The Uncommon Herd may be purchased from Amazon as a print or ebook or directly from Ian Platt via his website   http://scottishsocialhistory-autobiography.blogspot.co.uk/ 

3 comments:

  1. Hello Grey Granite,
    I randomly googled The Uncommon Herd, as I suggested someone to do so today and up popped Walking the Line. Thank you, you've obviously read and appreciated Great Grandfather's book. William mentioned many names of people living in and around Ellon in the mid 19thC, are you perhaps a descendant of one?
    Today we sent 6 copies of the book to Bill Kelly at Better Read Book Shop at Ellon, replenishing his stock. Anyway I must thank you for the review of William's book. If you are interested I can give you a link which would enable your readers to buy it from me directly. Many copies were bought by the Ellon & District History Society through the kind auspices of Brenda, their Secretary, who you may well know is a very special lady.
    Kind regards
    Ian Platt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ian,
      Thank you for your comment, I thought that The Uncommon Herd was wonderful and would be pleased to put the link on my blog. I am pleased that the book is getting the attention which it deserves, I came across a copy in the local history section of the library but have since bought an e copy. I am not, as far as we know, related, my interest is in the places which one can see from the Formartine Buchan Way, which as you may know is the walkway which follows the old railway line from Aberdeen to Peterhead and Fraserburgh. If you are able to send the link and I am then able to contact you directly I will explain further.
      Best wishes,
      Grey Granite

      Delete
    2. Hello Grey Granite,
      I live in Northants and I have only visited your area twice and both some years ago. I have however followed online the railway track. Although the disused railways across the country do create many pleasant walks, in many cases I would prefer the railway was still in use as some are privately run by charitable enthusiast groups. The librarian at Ellon was very keen on stocking Great Grandfather's book, but I had to negotiate through the County at Oldmeldrum.
      I would like to put the link to your blogger-website from my The Uncommon Herd Facebook page, together with your short description (what your site is about) of your website, if you want me to reciprocate.
      I would also feel more comfortable if we could communicate through emails. This is my email address: ian8ip@gmail.com.
      Thank you for agreeing to putting the link to my blog, I very much appreciate it. Here is the link itself: http://scottishsocialhistory-autobiography.blogspot.co.uk/ .
      I look forward to your reply.
      Best wishes,
      Ian

      Delete